REMOVAL & INSTALLATION Except V8 Engines
See Figures 1 through 6
- Drain the coolant from the radiator.
- Loosen the radiator shell and remove the radiator.
- Remove the fan with the coupling and set it aside in an upright position.
- Loosen the belt around the water pump pulley and remove the belt.
- Remove the bolts from the harmonic balancer and remove the balancer and pulley.
- Unbolt and remove the water pump.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the belt and fill the cooling system.
- Drain the coolant from the radiator and block.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Loosen and remove the power steering pump drive belt.
- Disconnect the upper water hose from the radiator and thermostat housing.
- Remove the fan and coupling.
- Remove the bottom water hose from the water pump housing.
- Remove the hose from the intake (top) connection from the water pump.
- Set the engine at TDC. Matchmark the distributor and engine and remove the distributor. Crank the engine with a socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt or with a screwdriver inserted in the balancer. Crank in the normal direction of rotation only.
- Turn the balancer so that the recesses provide access to the mounting bolts. Remove the mounting bolts. Rotate the engine in the normal direction of rotation only.
- Remove the water pump.
- Clean the mounting surfaces of the water pump and block.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Always use a new gasket. Set the engine at TDC and install the distributor so that the distributor rotor points to the notch on the distributor housing. Fill the cooling system and check and adjust the ignition timing.