REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5
- Removal for the various types is similar.
- On all models, remove the brake caliper. On 1974-76 230, 240D, 300D, 280 and 280C models and on 380SL, SLC, 450SL and SLC models, the hub and disc can be removed by prying off the dust cap, removing the socket screw and clamp nut, and pulling off the wheel hub. Fasten the hub in a vise or holding fixture (be careful not to distort the housing), matchmark the disc and hub, then unbolt the brake disc.
- On all other models the disc can be unbolted from the hub.
- Inspect the disc for burning (blue color), cracks and scoring. The disc becomes scored slightly in normal service; therefore, replace it only if the depth of individual scores exceeds 0.020 in.
- To ensure proper alignment, clean the hub and disc with emery paper to remove all rust and/or burrs, then bolt the disc to the hub.
- It is a wise precaution to use new lockwashers under the bolts.
- Install the hub and disc, then check the disc for runout (wobble), using a dial indicator as illustrated.
- If runout is excessive, it sometimes helps to remove the disc and reseat it on the hub. Install the caliper assembly and bleed the brakes.
If new brake discs are being installed, remove the anti-corrosion paint before installing it.