REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
If the wheel bearing play is being checked for correct setting only, it is not necessary to remove the caliper. It is only necessary to remove the brake pads.
- Remove the brake caliper.
- Pull the cap from the hub with a pair of channel-lock pliers. Remove the radio suppression spring, if equipped.
- Loosen the socket screw of the clamp nut on the wheel spindle. Remove the clamp nut and washer.
- Remove the front wheel hub and brake disc.
- Remove the inner race with the roller cage of the outer bearing.
- Using a brass or aluminum drift, carefully tap the outer race of the inner bearing until it can be removed with the inner race, bearing cage, and seal.
- In the same manner, tap the outer race of the bearing out of the hub.
- Separate the front hub from the brake disc.
- To assemble, press the outer races into the front wheel hub.
- Pack the bearing cage with bearing grease and insert the inner race with the bearing into the wheel hub.
- Coat the sealing ring with sealant and press it into the hub.
- Pack the front wheel hub with 45-55 grams of wheel bearing grease. The races of the tapered bearing should be well packed, also apply grease to the front faces of the rollers. Pack the front bearings with the specified amount of grease. Too much grease will cause overheating of the lubricant and it may lose its lubricity. Too little grease will not lubricate properly.
- Coat the contact surface of the sealing ring on the wheel spindle with Molykotereg; paste.
- Press the wheel hub onto the wheel spindle.
- Install the inner race and cage of the outer bearing.
- Install the steel washer and the clamp nut.
- Tighten the clamp nut until the hub can just be turned.
- Slacken the clamp nut and seat the bearings on the spindle by rapping the spindle sharply with a hammer.
- Attach a dial indicator, with the pointer indexed, onto the wheel hub.
- Check the end-play of the hub by pushing and pulling on the flange. The end-play should be approximately 0.0004-0.0008 in.
- Make an additional check by rotating the washer between the inner race of the outer bearing and the clamp nut. It should be able to be turned by hand.
- Check the position of the suppressor pin in the wheel spindle and the contact spring in the dust cap.
- Pack the dust cap with 20-25 grams of wheel bearing grease and install the cap.
- Install the brake caliper and bleed the brakes.