REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1974-76 230, 240D, 280, 280C and 300D Models
- Remove the cover plate from the left side underneath the dashboard.
- On vehicles with automatic transmission, disconnect the Bowden cable for the gear selector lever, after engaging Park.
- Remove the bracket holding the handbrake.
- Unscrew the knurled nut and pull the instrument cluster slightly forward.
- Disconnect the tachometer drive.
- Cover the steering column to prevent scratches.
- If only bulb replacement is desired, this is sufficient. To remove the entire cluster, continue with the remaining steps.
- Disconnect the oil pressure line.
- Remove the electrical plug connections.
- Release the excess pressure in the cooling system and install the cap afterward.
- Remove the temperature sensor from the cylinder head and plug the hole.
- Carefully remove the instrument cluster with the capillary tube and temperature sensor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
1978-80 280S, 280SE, 300SD, 380SL, 380SLC, 450SE, 450SEL, 450SL, 450SLC and 6.9 Models
- Remove the steering wheel.
The instrument cluster is held in the instrument panel by means of a molded rubber strip. When pulling out the cluster, the panel can be slightly raised above the cluster. NEVER force the cluster with a screwdriver or the like.
- Remove the tachometer shaft from the cable strap underneath the left-hand floor mat, near the jacket tube (except 380SL, SLC and 450SL, SLC).
- Pull the instrument cluster out as much as possible and loosen or remove the tachometer shaft, all electrical connections and the oil pressure line.
- Remove the instrument cluster to the left.
- Installation is in the reverse order of removal. Make sure that the speedometer cable is not bent excessively or it will vibrate when running.
190D and 190E Models
- Remove the cover under the left side of the instrument panel.
- Disconnect the defroster ducting which runs behind the instrument cluster.
- Unscrew the speedometer cable from below and then push the cluster out far enough to disconnect all connections on the back of the instrument cluster.
- Remove the five clips which secure the instrument cluster and then remove it.
- Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
1977-78 230, 240D; 1977-83 280E, 280CE, 300D; 1977-84 300CD, 300SD; 1981-84 300TD, 380SE, 380SEC, 380SEL, 500SEC and 500SEL Models
See Figure 1
- Remove the steering wheel (300SD, 380SE, 380SEC, 380SEL, 500SEC and 500SEL only).
- Remove the instrument cluster slightly by hand. Don't pull on the edge of the glass.
- A removal hook can be fabricated and inserted between the instrument cluster and the dashboard.
- Guide the removal hook up to the right to the recess (arrow) and pull the instrument cluster out.
- Pull it out as far as possible and disconnect the speedometer cable, electrical connections and oil pressure line.
The 1981 and later 300SD, 380SE, 380SEC, 380SEL, 500SEC and 500SEL models utilize 5 clips to secure the instrument cluster in place.
- To install, reconnect the electrical connections, oil pressure line and speedometer cable. To avoid speedometer cable noise, guide it into the largest radius possible.
- Push the instrument cluster firmly into the dashboard.