REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 190D, 190E, 1974-76 230, 240D, 280, 280C, 1975-76 300D, 380SL, 380SLC, 450SL and 450SLC Models
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Jack up the rear of the car and support the control arm.
- From inside the trunk (sedans), remove the rubber cap, locknut, and hex nut from the upper mount of the shock absorber. On the 280SL and 450SL, the upper mount of the rear shock absorber is accessible after removing the top, top flap, rear seat, backrest, and lining. On the 380SLC and 450SLC, remove the rear seat, backrest and cover plate.
- Unbolt the mounting for the rear shock absorber at the bottom and remove the shock absorber.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
All Other Models
See Figures 5 through 9
- Remove the rear seat and backrest.
- Remove the cover from the rear wall.
- Jack and support the car and the trailing arm.
- Loosen the nuts on the upper mount. Remove the washer and rubber ring.
- Loosen the lower mount and remove the shock absorber downward.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the upper mounting nut to the end of the threads.