Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the upper intake manifold as described in this Section.
- Remove the ignition wires and spark plugs.
- Remove the ignition coil from the rear valve cover.
- Remove the crankcase ventilation tubes from both valve covers.
- Remove the wiring harness and bracket to the fuel injectors and move aside.
If removing the front valve cover:
- Remove the Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) actuator.
- Remove the IMRC actuator cable bridge.
- Remove the retaining nuts and engine wiring from both valve covers and move aside.
- Remove the valve cover retaining bolts and studs following the correct sequence.
Remove both valve covers from the engine.
- Clean the valve cover gasket sealing surfaces.
- Install new valve cover gaskets onto the valve covers.
- For each valve cover, place a bead of silicone sealant at two places on the valve cover sealing surfaces where the engine front cover and the cylinder heads make contact and at two places on the rear of the cylinder head where the camshaft seal retainer contacts the cylinder head.
- Place the valve covers into position.
Reinstall the valve cover retaining bolts and studs and tighten in sequence to 71-106 inch lbs. (8-12 Nm).
NOTEThe valve covers must be installed and properly tightened within six minutes of applying the silicone sealant.
- Install the engine wiring and tighten the retaining nuts.
- Install the fuel injector harness and bracket.
If the front valve cover was removed:
- Install the IMRC actuator cable bridge.
- Install the IMRC actuator.
- Install the crankcase ventilation tubes into both valve covers.
- Install the ignition coil onto the rear valve cover.
- Install the ignition wire separators, the ignition wires, and the spark plugs.
- Install the upper intake manifold as described in this section.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Run the engine and check for leaks and proper operation.