Removal & Installation
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the drum retaining nuts, if equipped, and remove the brake drum.
- Inspect the brake drum for scoring and wear. Check the drums for conditioning and wear. Replace or machine as necessary. If machining, observe the maximum diameter specification.
- If a new brake drum is being installed, remove the protective coating from the drum using brake cleaner.
- Adjust the brake shoes to the brake drum using Brake Adjusting Gauge D81L-1103-A.
- Install the brake drum.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Complete the brake adjustment by carefully backing the vehicle up several times while applying the brakes with a minimum force of 25 lbs. (111 N).
- Road test the vehicle and check the brake system for proper operation.