- Position the vehicle with the front wheels in a straight ahead position.
Disconnect both battery cables, negative cable last.
CAUTIONWAIT at least 1 minute for the air bag backup power supply to deplete its stored energy before continuing.
- Disconnect the air bag backup power supply.
Remove the 2 air bag retaining screws from the steering column side of the steering wheel. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees from center to remove 1 screw and then turn the steering wheel 180 degrees to gain access to the 2nd screw.
CAUTIONWhen carrying a live air bag, make sure the bag and trim cover are pointed away from the body. In the unlikely event of an accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance of injury. When placing a live air bag on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface. This will reduce the motion of the module if it is accidentally deployed.
- Carefully remove the air bag module from the steering wheel and disconnect the electrical connector.
Remove the air bag module from the vehicle and place on a bench with the trim cover facing up.
- Center the front wheels to the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the speed control wiring harness from the steering wheel.
Remove the steering wheel retaining bolt.
- Carefully lift the steering wheel off of the shaft while routing the air bag sliding contact wire harness through the steering wheel opening.
Remove the steering wheel from the vehicle.
Ensure that the vehicles front wheels are in a straight ahead position.
NOTEIf the air bag was deployed due to an accident, the steering column must also be replaced.
- Feed the air bag sliding contact wire harness through the steering wheel opening and position the steering wheel on the steering shaft.
- Make sure that the shaft alignment marks are aligned and that the air bag contact wire is not pinched.
- Install a new steering wheel retaining bolt.
- Torque the retaining bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Reconnect the speed control wiring harness to the steering wheel and snap the connector assembly into the steering wheel clip.
- Reconnect the air bag wiring harness to the air bag module and install the air bag to the steering wheel. Torque the air bag retaining screws to 8-10 ft. lbs. (11-13 Nm).
- Reconnect the air bag backup power supply.
- Reconnect both battery cables, negative cable last.
- Prove out the air bag system by turning the ignition key to the RUN position and visually monitoring the air bag indicator lamp in the instrument cluster. The indicator lamp should illuminate for approximately 6 seconds and then turn off. If the indicator lamp does not illuminate, stays on, or flashes at any time, a fault has been detected by the air bag diagnostic monitor.