The idle air control (IAC) valve adjusts the engine idle speed. The valve is located on the side of the throttle body. The valve is controlled by a signal from the PCM and allows air to bypass the throttle plate in order to maintain the proper idle speed.
Removal & Installation
On 1999-00 vehicles, the IAC valve and the fast idle control (FIC) solenoid must be replaced as an assembly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the IAC/FIC electrical connector.
- Remove the four IAC valve screws.
- Unscrew the FIC solenoid from the throttle body.
- Remove the IAC/FIC assembly from the vehicle.
The installation is the reverse of removal.
- With the ignition switch OFF , disconnect the IAC/FIC assembly electrical connector.
- Connect ohmmeter leads between terminals 1 and 2 of the connector.
- The resistance should be approximately 10 ohms.
If the resistance is not within specifications, replace the assembly.