Removal & Installation
- Relieve the fuel system pressure. Please refer to Relieving Fuel System Pressure for the procedure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the upper intake manifold. Please refer to Engine and Engine Overhaul, Engine Mechanical, Intake Manifold, Removal and Installation for the procedure.
- Disconnect the six fuel injector electrical connectors and position the harness aside.
- Loosen the fuel supply and return hose clamps and disconnect them from the fuel supply manifold. Plug the hoses to prevent fuel leakage.
- Remove the four fuel supply manifold mounting bolts and spacers.
Carefully disengage the fuel supply manifold with the fuel injectors, and remove them as an assembly.
- The installation is the reverse of removal, but please note the following important steps.
- If the fuel rail is being replaced, when transferring the fuel injectors, replace the fuel injector grommets, insulators, and O-rings. Tighten the fuel injector cap screws to 26-33 inch lbs. (2.9-3.8 Nm).
- When installing the fuel supply manifold bolts, tighten them to 17-20 ft. lbs. (24-27 Nm) on 1993-98 3.0L engines. On 1999-00 3.3L engines, tighten the bolts to 8-11 ft. lbs. (11-15 Nm).
- After installation, cycle the ignition switch several times from the OFF to ON positions without starting the engine, allowing five seconds at each position, to build fuel pressure within the system. Check for fuel leaks.
- Start the engine and recheck for fuel leaks. Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation.