Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the battery cables, negative cable first.
Remove the instrument cluster. Please refer to Chassis Electrical, Instruments and Switches, Instrument Cluster, Removal and Installation for the procedure.
CAUTIONSome models covered by this manual may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column, and instrument panel, disable the SRS.
CAUTIONImproper handling and storage of air bags may result in serious personal injury. Please refer to Air Bags, System Service, Service Precautions for the proper procedures.
- Remove the bottom steering wheel cover to access the driver-s side air bag electrical connector. Disconnect the connector.
- Remove the left and right steering wheel covers.
Using a tamper-resistant Torx® T-50 bit, remove the left and right driver-s side air bag bolts. Discard the bolts.
CAUTIONWhen carrying a live air bag, make sure the air bag and trim cover are pointed away from the body. In the unlikely event of an accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance if injury. When placing a live air bag on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface. This will reduce the motion of the module if it is accidentally deployed.
- Separate the air bag from the steering wheel. Disconnect the horn switch electrical connector and remove the air bag.
- Open the glove compartment door. Release the stops on either side of the door and allow the door to hang fully open.
- Remove the passenger-s side air bag access panel in the top of the glove compartment. Disconnect the electrical connector.
- Remove the four outer glove compartment screws. Remove the four inner glove compartment bolts. Slide the glove compartment out, disconnect the electrical connector from the latch, and remove the glove compartment.
- Remove the four passenger-s side air bag nuts. Lift the air bag from the instrument panel and remove it.
- Remove the two screws and plastic nut from both the driver-s side and passenger-s side lower instrument panel center covers and remove the covers.
- Disconnect the foot lamp electrical connectors.
- Remove the four audio unit bracket screws. Slide the audio unit out, disconnect the electrical and antenna connections, and remove the unit.
- Remove the four climate control assembly screws. Slide the control assembly out, disconnect the electrical connectors, and remove the control assembly.
- If equipped with a CD changer, remove the four CD changer nuts. Slide the CD changer out, disconnect the electrical connector, and remove the changer and bracket assembly.
- If equipped with a light sensor, disconnect the light sensor amplifier harness electrical connector through the glove compartment opening.
- Remove the two screws from the lower instrument panel steering column cover.
- Remove the two lower instrument panel steering column cover plastic pin clips and remove the cover.
- Remove the four steering column cover reinforcement bolts. Disengage the data link connector from the reinforcement and remove the reinforcement.
- Remove the two screws from the lower heater duct and remove the duct.
- Remove the four steering column nuts from under the instrument panel and lower the steering column.
- Disconnect the remote keyless entry harness electrical connector at the instrument cluster opening.
- Remove the driver-s side instrument panel nut at the instrument cluster opening.
- Remove the lower driver-s side instrument panel screw near the fuse panel.
- Remove the center driver-s side instrument panel screw.
- Remove the three screws from the ashtray and cupholder bracket and remove the bracket.
- Remove the center passenger-s side instrument panel screw.
- Remove the instrument panel screw from the inside of the passenger-s side air bag opening.
- Remove the two instrument panel bolts from the inside of the glove compartment opening.
- Remove the lower passenger-s side instrument panel screw.
- Carefully pull the defroster opening grille up to release the clips and remove the grille.
- Carefully pull both the driver-s side and passenger-s side windshield side moldings out to release the clips and remove both moldings.
- Remove the two top instrument panel screws and the top instrument panel nut.
- Carefully remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
- The installation is the reverse of removal, but please note the following important steps.
When installing the driver-s side air bag, replace the bolts and tighten them to 11-18 ft. lbs. (15-25 Nm).