- Start the engine and depress the brake pedal several times while the vehicle is moving in reverse.
- Stop the engine.
Turn the cable adjustment nut until the parking brake pedal stroke is 11-12 notches when depressed with a force of 44 lbs. (196 N).
Removal & Installation
- Remove the left and right side inner kick panels.
- Remove the left and right side cowl side trim panel.
- Remove the accelerator stop screw and the stop (rubber block under the accelerator pedal).
- Fold back the front carpet to the front seats.
- Remove the four parking brake opening cover plate bolts. Remove the plate.
- Disengage the brake cable bushing from the lever.
- Remove the brake cable hold-down bolts from the front hold-down bracket.
- Disengage the front brake cable and conduit from the parking brake control lever. The parking brake control lever is the rearward connection between the end of the front cable and the front of the rear cables.
- Remove the front parking brake cable and conduit lock tab.
- Remove the front parking brake cable and conduit assembly from the vehicle.
- The installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the parking brake cover plate bolts and cable hold-down bracket bolt to 27-35 inch lbs. (3-4 Nm).
Adjust the parking brake.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the cable adjustment nut.
- Disconnect the parking brake equalizer cable spring from the bracket and remove the rear cable and conduit.
- Remove the eight cable hold-down bracket bolts and the six cable hold-down brackets on the right side parking brake cable.
- Remove the seven cable hold-down bracket bolts and the five cable hold-down brackets on the left side parking brake cable.