Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Drain the radiator and recycle the engine coolant.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
The following steps require the use of a strap wrench to hold the water pump pulley while loosening and tightening the bolts. If a strap wrench is not available, loosen the bolts before removing the drive belts. The drive belt tension will help keep the pulley from turning while loosening the bolts.
- Remove the A/C compressor, alternator, and water pump/power steering pump drive belts.
- Remove the three A/C idler pulley bracket bolts and remove the bracket.
- Use a strap wrench to hold the water pump pulley and loosen the four water pump pulley bolts.
- Remove the water pump pulley bolts and remove the pulley.
- Remove the upper radiator hose bracket bolt.
- Disconnect and remove the upper radiator hose and bracket.
- Disconnect and remove the coolant bypass hose from the intake manifold water outlet and the thermostat water inlet.
- Remove the main wiring harness from the upper timing belt cover.
- Remove the eight upper timing belt cover bolts and remove the cover.
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.
- Remove the passenger's side front wheel.
- Remove the passenger's side outer engine and transaxle splash shield.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley and the outer timing belt guide.
- Remove the five lower timing belt cover bolts and remove the cover.
- Install the lower timing belt cover. Install the bolts and tighten them to 27-44 inch lbs. (3-5 Nm).
- Install the outer timing belt guide and the crankshaft pulley. Tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt to 141-156 ft. lbs. (191-211 Nm).
- Install the water pump pulley. Install the bolts and tighten them to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-21 Nm).
- Install the passenger's side outer engine and transaxle splash shield.
- Install the passenger's side front wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the upper timing belt cover. Install the bolts and tighten them to 27-44 inch lbs. (3-5 Nm).
- Install the main wiring harness on the upper timing belt cover.
- Install the coolant bypass hose.
- Install the upper radiator hose and bracket. Tighten the bracket bolt to 34-48 ft. lbs. (46-65 Nm).
- Install the A/C compressor idler pulley bracket. Install the bolts and tighten them to 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
- Install and adjust the water pump/power steering pump, alternator, and A/C compressor drive belts.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Run the engine and check for leaks.