The vehicle identification number (VIN) can be found at two locations. It is stamped on a metal tab that is riveted to the front of the instrument panel, and visible through the windshield on the driver's side of the vehicle. It can also be found on the vehicle certification label, which is affixed to the driver's door jamb near the latch.
The seventeen digit number includes the following information:
- Digits 1-3: Manufacturer, make, and type of vehicle.
- Digit 4: GVWR and brake system.
- Digits 5-7: Model or line, series, and body type.
- Digit 8: Engine type.
- Digit 9: Check digit.
- Digit 10: Model year.
- Digit 11: Assembly plant.
- Digits 12-17: Vehicle serial number.