- Shift the selector lever to the N position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and safely support the vehicle. Drain the transmission fluid.
- Remove the engine undercover, and disconnect the shift rod.
- Remove the performance rod.
- Remove the complete exhaust system from the exhaust manifold.
- Mark the position of the driveshaft on the rear axle flange, and remove the driveshaft.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable, and disconnect the vacuum hose from the vacuum diaphragm.
- Label and disconnect the electrical connectors from the: inhibitor switch, kickdown solenoid, overdrive cancel solenoid, oil pressure switch and lockup solenoid.
- Remove the dipstick and dipstick tube. Disconnect the oil cooler lines.
Support the transmission and differential with jacks. Remove the transmission-to-differential frame as follows:
- Disconnect the wiring harness from the frame.
- Remove the bolts from the underside of the frame at the differential end, noting their location. Pry out the spacer from the frame.
- Remove the differential mounting spacer from the underside of the differential.
- Insert a 14 x 1.5mm bolt through the frame hole, and turn it into the sleeve. Twist and pull the bolt downward.
- Install a 6 x 1mm bolt in the side hole to hold the sleeve, and remove the long bolt. Remove the short bolt.
- Remove the transmission side bolts, and remove the frame member.
- Remove the torque converter bolts, and the starter.
- Remove the transmission mounting bolts and remove the transmission, being careful not to drop the torque converter.
- Make sure the torque converter is fully installed in the transmission. The distance between 1 of the bolt hole lugs and a straightedge laid across the bellhousing should be 0.89 in. (22.5mm).
- Raise the transmission into position, and install the mounting bolts. Tighten to 48-66 ft. lbs. (64-89 Nm).
- Install the starter. Install the torque converter bolts. Align the holes by turning the torque converter. Hold the flexplate with a small prybar, and tighten the bolts to 27-40 ft. lbs. (36-54 Nm).
Install the transmission-to-frame member as follows:
- Install the differential mounting spacer on the underside of the differential. Tighten the mounting bolts to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).
- Position the jack under the transmission so the transmission is level.
- Position the frame and install the transmission side bolts. Snug the bolts.
- Make sure the sleeve is installed in the block. Install the spacer and bolts with the reamer bolt in the front hole. Snug the bolts.
- Tighten the transmission side bolts to 77-91 ft. lbs. (104-123 Nm), then tighten the differential bolts to the same specification.
Connect the wiring harness to the frame member and remove the jacks.
NOTEAfter the frame installation, position a straightedge between the body frame members on each side of the vehicle. Measure the distance between the bottom of the frame to the straightedge; it should be 2.023-2.417 in. (51.5-61.5mm). If the distance is not as specified, reposition the frame member at the transmission.
- Connect the oil cooler lines, using new gaskets. Install the dipstick tube and dipstick.
- Connect the electrical connectors and the vacuum hose. Connect the speedometer cable.
- Install the driveshaft, aligning the marks made during removal. Tighten the bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Install the exhaust system. Connect the front pipe to the exhaust manifold, using a new gasket, and tighten the nuts to 34 ft. lbs. (46 Nm).
- Install the performance rod.
- Install the engine undercover and connect the shift rod.
- Lower the vehicle and connect the negative battery cable. Fill the transmission with the proper type and quantity of fluid. Start the engine and check for leaks and proper operation.