Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the transaxle or transmission.
- If equipped with manual transmission, remove the clutch pressure plate and disc.
- Remove the flywheel.
- Cut the oil seal lip with a razor knife. Pry the oil seal from the housing using a small prybar. Be careful not to damage the crankshaft or seal housing surfaces.
- Apply a small amount of clean engine oil to the lip of the new seal and push the seal in slightly by hand.
- Tap the seal in evenly using a seal installer. The seal must be installed so it is flush with the edge of the rear cover on all except 1.8L engines. On the 1.8L engine, the seal must protrude 0.020 in. (0.5mm).
Install the flywheel. Tighten the bolts to 76 ft. lbs. (103 Nm) on 1.6L engines. On 1.8L engines, tighten the bolts to 49 ft. lbs. (67 Nm).
NOTETighten the flywheel bolts in 2-3 steps, in a crisscross pattern.
- If equipped with manual transmission, install the clutch disc and pressure plate.
- Install the transmission and lower the vehicle. Connect the negative battery cable.