Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect and mark the spark plug wires and the breather hoses and remove the cylinder head cover.
- Loosen the rocker arm shaft bolts in 2-3 steps, in the reverse order of the torque sequence. Remove the rocker arms/shafts assembly with the bolts.
- If necessary, disassemble the shaft assemblies. Note the position of the rocker arms and shafts so they can be reassembled in the same locations.
- Inspect the rocker arms and shafts for wear or damage and replace parts, as necessary.
If disassembled, lubricate the rocker arms and shafts with clean engine oil and assemble with the springs and bolts. If reusing the original parts, make sure they are installed in the same locations.
NOTEThe installation bolt holes are different for the exhaust side and intake side shafts. On the 1.6L 8-valve engine, the shaft oil holes must face downward. On the 1.6L and 1.8L 16-valve engines, the identification marks at the end of the shafts must face upward.
- Apply clean engine oil to the valve stems and camshaft lobes. Install the rocker arms/shafts assembly.
- Tighten the rocker arm shaft bolts, in 2-3 steps, to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm) in the proper sequence.
- Install the cylinder head cover. Tighten the cylinder head cover-to-cylinder head bolts to 78 inch lbs. (8.8 Nm) and the timing cover-to-cylinder head cover bolts to 95 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
Connect the breather hoses and spark plug wires. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.