Mazda Miata 1990-1993
Before making any adjustment, make sure of the condition of the engine (spark plugs, leaks in hoses, etc.). Make sure all accessories are OFF and warm the engine to normal operating temperature.
Connect a timing light and a tachometer to the data link connector terminal IG-. When using an externally powered timing light and/or tachometer, connect it to the power connector (blue: 1-pin).
CAUTIONGrounding the power connector terminal (blue: 1-pin) will burn out the 20A wiper fuse.
- Make sure that the cooling fan does not operate.
- Connect the SST 49 B019 9AO and set the test switch to "self test" or connect data link connector terminals TEN and GRD with a jumper wire.
- Check the idle speed and set it to specification.
- Verify that the timing mark (white) on the crankshaft pulley and the timing cover are aligned. Specification is: M/T - 9-11 deg. BTDC; A/T - 7-9 deg. BTDC.
- If the marks are not aligned, loosen the crankshaft position sensor lockbolt, and turn the crankshaft position sensor to make the adjustment. Torque the lockbolt to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
- Disconnect the SST 49 B019 9AO.
- Verify that the ignition timing is within specification.
- Disconnect all other test equipment and check for proper operation.
Mazda Miata 1994-1995
- Apply the parking brake. Place the shift lever in NEUTRAL on manual transaxles, and P on automatic transaxles.
- Locate the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley and the timing indicator scale on the engine front cover. If the marks are hard to see, clean them with degreaser and a stiff brush.
- Start the engine and bring to normal operating temperature. Make sure all accessories are OFF.
- Connect a tachometer and timing light to the engine according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Verify that the idle speed is between 800-900 rpm on manual, and 750-850 rpm on automatic transaxles. Adjust the idle speed as necessary.
- Connect a jumper wire between the TEN terminal and the GND terminal of the data link connector.
- Verify that the timing mark (white) on the crankshaft pulley, and the indicator pin are aligned. Aim the timing light at the timing marks; the timing should be 0 plus or minus 1 degrees.
- If the timing marks are not aligned: Remove the ignition coil bracket, and move aside for clearance. Loosen the camshaft position sensor lockbolts, and turn the camshaft position sensor to adjust. When the marks align, tighten the lockbolts to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm). Recheck the timing after the bolts have been tightened.
- Remove the jumper wire.
- Increase the engine speed and verify that the timing advances.
- Remove all test equipment.
Mazda Miata 1996-1997
- Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
- Turn all electrical loads OFF - headlight switch, fan switch and rear window defrost switch.
- Connect special tool 49 T088 0A0 (NGS) to the data link connector-2 and select the PID/DATA MONITOR AND RECORD function.
- Select the RPM on the NGS display.
- Wait until the cooling fan stops.
- Apply the parking brake. Place the shift lever in NEUTRAL on manual transaxles, and Pon automatic transaxles.
- Locate the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley and the timing indicator scale on the engine front cover. If the marks are hard to see, clean