Tie Rod Ends
Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
Loosen the jam nut and thread it back along the linkage shaft. Ensure that the linkage shaft does not turn.
- Paint a reference mark across the tie rod and shaft.
Remove the cotter pin and loosen the nut on the tie rod end ball stud. With the nut protecting the ball stud, press the stud from the knuckle using press tool 49 0118 850C or equivalent. Remove the nut and the tie rod end from the knuckle.
- Unscrew the tie rod end from the shaft.
- Thread the tie rod onto the shaft and align the marks made during removal. If installing a new tie rod end, try to assemble it in the same position as the old one.
- Install the tie rod end into the knuckle. Install the nut and tighten to 24-32 ft. lbs. (31-41 Nm).
- Install a new cotter pin. If the cotter pin cannot be installed because the ball stud hole and the nut castellation do not align, tighten the nut further until the cotter pin can be installed. Never loosen the nut to install the cotter pin.
- Tighten the jam nut to 26-36 ft. lbs. (35-50 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tire assembly and lower the vehicle. Check the front wheel alignment.