- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system.
Remove the timing belt covers, and remove the timing belt.
- On the 1995-97 models, remove the power steering pump, but don't disconnect the hoses. Position it out of the way.
- Disconnect the coolant inlet pipe and gasket.
- Remove the timing belt idler pulleys still attached to the water pump.
- Remove the water pump mounting bolts, and remove the water pump.
- Clean all gasket mating surfaces.
- Install a new rubber seal on the water pump.
- Using a new gasket, install the water pump on the engine. Tighten the mounting bolts to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm). Tighten the bolt from the water pump to the alternator bracket to 28-38 ft. lbs. (38-51 Nm).
- Install the timing belt idler pulleys that were removed.
- Install the coolant inlet pipe, using a new gasket. Tighten the bolts to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
- Install the power steering pump.
- Install the timing belt and the timing belt covers.
- Fill and bleed the cooling system. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and bring to normal operating temperature. Check for leaks.