Without Center Bearing
- Remove the halfshaft from the vehicle.
- Remove the large and small TJ boot bands.
- Remove the TJ case. Remove the snapring.
- Remove the spider assembly. Remove the TJ boot. Remove the dynamic damper. Remove the damper band.
- Remove the BJ assembly. Remove the small and large BJ boot bands. Remove the BJ boot.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Install the dynamic damper as shown in the illustration. Measurement -A- should be 9.1 +/- 0.12 inch for the left side and measurement -B- should be 16.3 +/- 0.12 inch for the right side.
NOTEThere should be no grease stuck to the rubber part of the dynamic damper. The damper band and TJ boot band (small) are different in shape. Locate the identification numbers stamped on the band levers.
- The damper band ID number is 8382. The TJ boot band ID number is E687. Secure the damper bands.
- Wrap plastic tape around the shaft spline, then install the TJ boot band (small) and the TJ boot.
- To install the spider assembly, apply grease to the spider axles and rollers of the spider assembly. Do not mix old and new grease or different types of grease.
- Install the spider assembly to the shaft from the direction of the spline beveled section.
- Apply grease to the TJ case, then insert the halfshaft and apply more grease. The assembly uses 4.2 +/- 0.3 ounces of grease.
- Position the TJ boot bands at 3.54 +/- 0.12 inch in order to adjust the amount of air inside the TJ boot and then tighten the TJ boot band (small) then the TJ boot band (large) securely.