Mitsubishi-s Multi-Use Tester-III (MUT III) scan tool or an equivalent OBD-II scan tool must be used for this procedure.
- Set the transmission in Park for automatic transmissions or Neutral for manual transmissions.
- Connect an OBD-II compliant scan tool to the Data Link Connector, located under the instrument panel on the driver's side.
- Set the timing light to the power supply line of ignition coil No. 1.
- Start the engine and allow it to run at idle.
- Using the scan tool (Item No. 17 of the actuator test), check that ignition timing is within specification.