Removal & Installation
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Matchmark the rear propeller shaft and companion flange and remove the shaft. Don't let it hang from the transaxle. Tie it up to the underbody.
- Hold the companion flange stationary and remove the large self-locking nut in the center of the companion flange.
- Using a puller, remove the flange. Pry the old seal out.
- Apply a thin coat of multi-purpose grease to the seal lip and the companion flange seal contacting surface. Install the new seal with an appropriate driver.
- Install the companion flange. Install a new locknut and torque to 116-159 ft. lbs. (157-220). The rotation torque of the drive pinion should be about 4 inch lbs. for new or reused, oiled bearings.
- Install the propeller shaft.