- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Disconnect the front exhaust pipe.
- Unbolt the transfer case assembly and remove by sliding it off the rear driveshaft. Do not let the rear driveshaft hang; suspend it from a frame piece.
- Install the transfer case assembly to the transaxle. Install the rear driveshaft to the transfer case output shaft.
- Tighten the transfer case to transaxle bolts to 18-22 ft. lbs. (25-29 Nm).
- Install the exhaust pipe using a new gasket.
- Lower the vehicle and connect the negative battery cable.
Remove or disconnect the following:
- Support the driveshaft with wire or string and remove the transfer case from the transaxle.
- Slide the driveshaft into the transfer case and install the transfer case to the transaxle. Torque the bolts to 40-44 ft. lbs. (54-59 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
Front exhaust pipe
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the under cover assembly. Drain the transaxle fluid.
- Drain the transfer case fluid. Drain the engine coolant.
- Remove the front axle crossmember assembly.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe. Remove the battery and the battery tray.
- Remove the air cleaner and air intake hose assembly.
- Remove the strut tower bar assembly.
- Remove the air hose, air by-pass hose and air by-pass valve.
- Remove the radiator.
- Remove the output shaft. Remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the rear roll stopper connection bolt. Remove the crossmember assembly.
- Disconnect the pressure hose connection and discard the gasket.
- Remove the dust seal guard.
- Remove the transfer case retaining bolts. Remove the transfer case from the vehicle. Discard the O-ring.
- Position the transfer case on a suitable holding fixture. Install the transfer case to its mounting in the vehicle.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to check and adjust all fluid levels, as necessary.