See Figure 1
- Remove the brake drum.
- Measure the wear of the brake lining at the place worn the most. The service limit for replacement is 0.039 in. (1.0mm).
- Replace the shoe and lining assembly is any located is less than the limit. Whenever the shoe and lining assembly is replaced, be sure to replace the left and right side assemblies as a set to prevent the car from pulling to one side when braking.
- If there is a big difference between the thicknesses of the shoe and lining assembly on the left and right sides, check the sliding condition of the wheel cylinder piston.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2 through 12
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove some of the brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir. The reservoir should be no more than 1 / 2 full.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Remove the appropriate tire and wheel assembly. Loosen the parking brake cable adjusting nut.
- Remove the brake drum.
- If removing all of the brake drum components, remove the shoe-to-shoe spring.
- Remove the shoe-to-lever spring. Although there are special tools to remove this, a pair of pliers usually works just as well.
- Remove the adjuster lever, then remove the auto adjuster assembly.
- Remove the lower brake hose retainer spring.
- Remove the front hold-down cup and spring, then remove the rear hold-down cup.
If just replacing the shoe and linings, not other components such as the brake backing plate, perform the following:
- With the shoes still attached by the spring, pull them apart to clear the hub, then disconnect the parking brake cable and remove the shoe and lining assembly from the vehicle.
- Unfasten the spring and separate the shoe and linings.
- If its necessary to remove all of the drum brake components, perform the remainder of the procedure.
- Remove the shoe-to-shoe spring, then remove the rear shoe and lining assembly.
- Remove the shoe and lever assembly.
- Use a prytool to open the retainer joint, then remove the retainer.
- Remove the wave washer, then remove the parking brake lever.
- Remove the other shoe and lining assembly and the shoe hold-down pin.
- If necessary, unfasten the rear brake pipe connection.
- Remove the snap ring.
- Remove the brake backing plate assembly, if necessary.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Grease the points shown in the accompanying figure.
- Make sure to install the wave washer as shown in the accompanying figure.
- Use a suitable pair of pliers to install the retainer on the pin securely.