REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine undercover.
- For all engines, except the 199598 2.0L non-turbo engines, use the proper equipment to slightly raise the engine to take the weight off of the side engine mount. Support the engine in this position. Remove the engine mount bracket.
- Remove the accessory drive belts.
- Unfasten the retaining bolt, then remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Use a jawed puller or tools MB995055 and MB995057 to remove the crankshaft pulley from the shaft.
- Install the crankshaft pulley, adapter and/or damper pulley. For 1995-98 2.0L non-turbo engines, install the crankshaft pulley using MB995035, or equivalent.
Install the mounting bolt(s) and tighten as follows:
- 1.8L engine: 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm)
- 1990-94 2.0L engine: 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- 1995-98 2.0L non-turbo engine: 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm), using tool MB990767, or equivalent.
- 1995-98 2.0L turbo and 2.4L engines: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the accessory drive belts and adjust to the correct tension.
- If removed, install the engine mount bracket. Tighten the bolts as follows:
Engine mount bracket through bolt-58 ft. lbs. (80 Nm)Upper mount bracket mounting nuts (2)-47 ft. lbs. (65 Nm)Upper mount bracket mounting bolt-47 ft. lbs. (65 Nm)
- Install the clamp for the power steering pressure hose.
- Install the engine under cover.
- Connect the negative battery cable.