REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The DOHC engines do not use rocker shafts. To remove the arms, the camshaft must first be removed. It is recommended that all rocker arms and lash adjusters are replaced together.1.8L Engine
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the valve cover. Install lash adjuster retainer tools MD998443 or equivalent, to the rocker arm. If this tool is not available, rubber bands can be used.
- Remove the distributor extension, if necessary.
- Have a helper hold the rear of the camshaft down. If not, the timing belt will dislodge and valve timing will be lost.
- Loosen the camshaft cap retaining bolts but don't remove them from the caps. Remove the rear bearing cap.
- Loosen the remaining camshaft cap retaining bolts but don't remove them from the caps. Do not loosen the forward most camshaft bearing cap bolt.
- At this point, the shafts can be removed as an assembly for service or service of individual components can be made by sliding component to be replaced off back end of shafts. If the later method of replacement is used, only disassembly as far as needed and keep all parts in order of removal. Installation of parts in the same location and orientation is necessary.
- To remove the shafts as an assembly, remove bearing caps Nos. 2, 3 and 4, rocker arms, rocker shafts and bolts. It is essential that all parts be kept in the same order and orientation for reinstallation. Remove the lash adjuster tools to replace the adjuster(s) as required. Inspect the roller surfaces of the rockers. Replace if there are any signs of damage or if the roller does not turn smoothly. Check the inside bore of the rockers and lifter for wear.
- Apply a drop of sealant to the rear edges of the end caps.
- Install the assembly into the front bearing cap making sure the notches in the rocker shafts are facing up. Insert the installation bolt but do not tighten at this point.
- Install the remaining cap bolts. Tighten all bolts evenly and gradually to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm). Remove the lash adjuster retainers.
- Install the distributor extension, if removed.
- Install the valve cover with a new gasket in place.
- Connect the negative battery cable.