REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- If equipped with power door locks, windows or any other power option located on the door, detach the necessary electrical connector(s). On some vehicles, it may be necessary to remove the inner door panel and waterproof film from the door to access the connector(s).
- Remove the wire harness retainers and extract the harness from the door.
- Remove the spring pin and disconnect the door check strap. To prevent the strap from falling inside the door, install the retainer into the hole in the end of the check rod.
- Matchmark the position of both the upper and lower door hinge to aid in alignment during installation. While supporting the door, remove the door-to-hinge bolts and lift the door from the vehicle.
- Position the door on the vehicle and loosely install the hinge bolts.
- Align each hinge to the matchmarks and secure the hinge mounting bolts. Tighten to the specifications shown in the accompanying figures.
- Install and connect the electrical wire harness. Secure harness to the door using retainers.
- Install the door check so that the identification mark faces upwards. Reinstall the interior door trim panel, if removed.
- Close the door slowly and check for proper alignment. Adjust the door as required and reconnect the negative battery cable.
See Figures 4, 5 and 6
Adjustment of the door hinge is made easier with hinge bolt loosening wrench MB990834-01 or equivalent.
- Apply appropriate tape to the fender and door edges to protect painted surfaces from damage.
- Use the special wrench to loosen the hinge mounting bolts on the body side of the door slightly.
- Adjust the door so the clearance around the door is uniform on all sides.
- Tighten the hinge bolts to 12-19 ft. lbs. (17-26 Nm), once the door is in the desired position.
When the hinge has been replaced, adjust the alignment as follows:
- Install the hinge in position on the vehicle aligning the matchmarks made during removal.
- Loosen the hinge mounting bolts on the door side of the hinge.
- Adjust the alignment of the fender panel with the front of the door panel.
- Once the desired positioning is obtained, tighten the hinge mounting bolts in place.
- To adjust the door striker, loosen the striker mounting bolts and adjust positioning as required. Increase or decease the number of shims behind the striker to adjust the engagement of the striker with the door.
- Tighten the striker mounting bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm) once the adjustment has been made.