REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect battery negative cable.
- If equipped, remove the right side duct.
- Disconnect the molded hose from the blower assembly.
- Remove the blower motor assembly.
- Remove the packing seal.
- If replacing the motor assembly, remove the fan retaining nut and fan.
- Check that the blower motor shaft is not bent and that the packing is in good condition. Clean all parts of dust, etc.
- Assemble the motor and fan. Install the blower motor then connect the motor terminals to battery voltage. Check that the blower motor operates smoothly. Then, reverse the polarity and check that the blower motor operates smoothly in the reverse direction.
- Install the molded hose and duct, if removed.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the climate control system for proper operation.
See Figure 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the stopper, then lower the glove compartment assembly.
- If necessary, remove the blower resistor.
- For non-turbo vehicles equipped with A/C, unfasten the retainers, then remove the automatic compressor ECM from the vehicle.
- Unfasten the retaining bolts, then remove the blower motor and fan from the vehicle.
If necessary to remove the entire blower unit, perform the following:
- Remove the instrument panel, as outlined in General Information & Maintenance 0 of this repair guide.
- Remove the retaining clip by using a Philips-head screwdriver to push the pin (in the center of the clip) inward about 0.08 in. (2mm) , then pull the clip out to remove it.
- For vehicles without A/C, remove the joint duct.
- If equipped with A/C, unfasten the cooling until bolts and nuts.
- Remove the blower unit assembly from the vehicle.
If removed, position the blower unit in the vehicle and perform the following:
- If equipped with A/C, install the cooling unit bolts and nuts.
- For vehicles not equipped with A/C, install the joint duct.
- Install the retaining clip by inserting with the pin pulled out, then pushing the pin inward until the head is flush with the grommet.
- Install the instrument panel.
- Position the blower fan and motor in the vehicle, and secure with the retainer(s).
- For non-turbo vehicles with A/C, install the automatic compressor ECM.
- If removed, install the resistor.
- Place the glove compartment in the proper closed position, then install the stopper.
- Connect the negative battery cable.