REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Label and unplug the spark plug wires from the distributor cap.
- Remove the distributor cap retainers and lift the cap from the distributor housing.
Although most rotors can only be installed in one direction, it is still wise to note the position of the rotor before removal to assure proper installation and ignition timing.
- Note the position of the rotor, unfasten the attaching screws (if necessary), then pull the rotor straight up and off the distributor assembly.
- Inspect the cap and rotor, then replace any component that shows excess wear or damage.
- Place the rotor on the distributor in the position from which is was removed. If necessary install the retaining screws.
Prior to installing the cap onto the distributor housing, make sure the packing is in place.
- Position the cap on the distributor and install the retainers.
- Attach the spark plug wires to the cap, as tagged during removal.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
When inspecting a cap and rotor, look for signs of cracks, carbon tracking, burns and wear. The inside of the cap may be burnt or have wear on the carbon ends. On the rotor, look at the tip for burning and excessive wear.