See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
On most vehicles covered by this guide, the fuel filter is located in the engine compartment, mounted to the firewall. On some 1996-98 2.0L non-turbo engines, the fuel filter is mounted to the fuel tank.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure as outlined in Fuel System of this repair guide.
- If not already done, disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If necessary, raise and safely support the vehicle, then remove the fuel tank from the vehicle, as outlined in Fuel System of this repair guide.
Wrap shop towels around the fitting that is being disconnected to absorb residual fuel in the lines.
- Cover the hose connection with shop towels to prevent any splash of fuel that could be caused by residual pressure in the fuel pipe line. Hold the fuel filter nut securely with a backup wrench, then remove the eye bolt. Disconnect the high-pressure fuel line from the filter. Remove and discard the gaskets.
- While holding the fuel filter nut securely with a back-up wrench, loosen the main pipe flare nut. Separate the flare nut connection from the filter. Remove and discard the gaskets.
If equipped with a fuel tank mounted filter, perform the following:
- Remove the eye bolt, gasket and connector.
- Remove the pressure regulator.
- Remove the mounting bolts and remove the fuel filter. If necessary, remove the fuel filter bracket.
- Install the filter to its bracket only finger-tight. Movement of the filter will ease attachment of the fuel lines.
Make sure new O-rings are installed prior to installation.
- Insert the main pipe at the connector part of the filter and manually screw in the main pipe's flare nut.
- While holding the fuel filter nut with a back-up wrench, tighten the eye bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm). Tighten the flare nut to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm), with a back-up wrench on the nut.
- Tighten the filter mounting bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable. Turn the key to the ON position to pressurize the fuel system and check for leaks.
- If repairs of a leak are required, remember to release the fuel pressure before opening the fuel system.