REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Position the wheels in the straight ahead position, then turn the ignition to the LOCK position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped with SRS, wrap the negative cable with insulated tape and wait at least 60 seconds before continuing the procedure, in order to allow the air bag system time to disarm.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the hood lock release lever from the lower panel.
- Remove the lower instrument panel knee protector.
- Remove the upper and lower steering column cover.
- Remove the clip that holds the wiring against the steering column.
- Remove the key reminder switch, if equipped. Unplug the ignition switch from the steering lock cylinder and remove.
- Insert the key into the steering lock cylinder and turn to the ACC position.
- With a small cross-tip screwdriver, push the lock pin of the steering lock cylinder inward and then pull the lock cylinder out towards you.
When equipped with automatic transaxle, the vehicles have safety-lock systems and will have a key interlock cable installed in a slide lever on the side of the key cylinder. Carefully unhook the interlock cable from the lock cylinder while withdrawing cylinder from lock housing.
- With the ignition key removed, install the slide lever to the steering lock cylinder. Connect the interlock cable to the slide lever and the steering lock cylinder. Apply grease to the interlock cable and install cylinder into the lock housing.
If equipped with key interlock system, place the gearshift selector in
with the engine
. Check the system operation as follows:
- Check that the gear select lever can not be moved and the button on the lever can not be pushed under with the ignition key in the LOCK or OFF position, and the brake pedal not depressed.
- Turn the ignition key to the ACC position. Depress the brake pedal. Press the button on the select lever. Check to be sure that under this conditions, the select lever can be moved from the from the P position to any other position. Press the button a few times to be sure that the select lever moves smoothly.
- Check to be sure that at all other positions of the select lever other than P , the ignition key can not be turned to the OFF position. Check to be sure the ignition key turns smoothly to the OFF position when the selector lever is in the P position.
- If a malfunction is discovered with the shift lock mechanism, adjust or check the key interlock system.
- Install the ignition switch plug carefully and make sure no wires in the harness are pinched.
- Install the wiring clip. Align the matchmarks and install the steering wheel to the steering shaft. Install the steering wheel retainer nut and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- Install the steering column covers.
- Install the knee protector.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the ignition switch and lock for proper operation.