REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
- Position the wheels in the straight ahead position, then turn the ignition to the LOCK position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped with SRS, wrap the negative cable with insulated tape and wait at least 60 seconds before continuing the procedure, in order to allow the air bag system time to disarm.
- For 1990-94 vehicles, remove the horn pad from the steering wheel by unfastening the retaining screws from the rear of the pad, then push the pad upward to remove. Detach horn button connector.
- For 1995-98 vehicles, unfasten the retaining screws, the carefully pull the SRS inflate module away from the steering wheel. Detach the connector(s), then remove the module from the vehicle, then place the module, top side facing up, on a suitable workbench.
- Remove steering wheel retaining nut.
- Matchmark the steering wheel to the shaft.
- Use a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel. Do not hammer on steering wheel to remove it. The collapsible column mechanism may be damaged.
- Line up the matchmarks and install the steering wheel to the shaft.
- Tighten the steering wheel attaching nut to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm) for 1990-94 vehicles or to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm) for 1995-98 vehicles.
- For 1990-94 vehicles, reconnect the horn connector and install the horn pad, securing it with the retaining screws.
- For 1995-98 vehicles, attach the connector(s), then install the SRS inflate module and secure with the retainers.
- If equipped with SRS, remove the tape from the battery cable.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- If equipped with SRS, turn the ignition ON and check the SRS warning light for proper operation.