The Knock Sensor (KS) converts the vibration of the cylinder block into a voltage and outputs it. If there is a malfunction of the knock sensor, the voltage output will not change. The PCM checks whether the voltage output changes.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the electrical connector at the sensor.
- Remove the sensor from the engine block.
- Install the knock sensor in the opening in the engine block and tighten the sensor retainer.
- Attach the electrical connector to the sensor.
Connect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the knock sensor connector.
- Start the engine and run at idle.
- Measure the voltage between knock sensor side connector terminal No. 1 (output) and No. 2 (ground).
- Gradually increase the engine speed. The voltage increases with the increase in the engine speed.
- Turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK" (OFF) position.
- If within specifications, check connectors and wiring between the sensor and ECM/PCM. If ok, replace ECM/PCM.
- If not within specifications, replace the knock sensor.