Refer to the applicable precautions for this system before performing the following operation. Failure to follow the warnings and cautions could result in possible personal injury or death.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Discharge the A/C system, as outlined at the beginning of this section.
- Remove the front bumper undercover.
- Remove the right front undercover.
- Detach the flexible suction hose, then plug the hose and nipple to prevent contaminants from entering the system. Remove and discard the O-ring.
- Disconnect the flexible discharge hose, then plug the hose and nipple to prevent contaminants from entering the system. Remove and discard the O-ring.
- Remove the drive belt.
- Unfasten the retainers and remove the A/C compressor. Be careful not to spill any compressor oil when removing the compressor.
- Remove the alternator.
Remove the A/C compressor bracket.
- Install the A/C compressor bracket.
- Install the alternator.
If installing a new compressor, you must adjust the amount of oil as follows:
- Measure the amount [X cm3 (X fl. oz) of oil within the removed compressor
- Drain (from the new compressor) the amount of oil calculated according to the following formula, and then install the new compressor.
New compressor oil amount = 140cm2 (4.7 fl. oz)
140 cm3 - X cm3 = Y cm3 (4.7 fl. oz - X fl. oz = Y fl. oz)
Y cm3 (Y fl. oz) indicates the amount of oil in the refrigerant line, the condenser, the evaporator, etc.
When replacing the following parts at the same times as the compressor, subtract the rated oil amount of each part from Y cm3 (Y fl. oz) and discharge from the new compressor.
Evaporator: 60 cm3 (2.0 fl. oz)
- Install the compressor
- Install the drive belt
- Connect the suction and discharge hoses with new O-rings and tighten the bolt to 15-21 ft. lbs. (21-29 Nm).
- Adjust the tension of the belt, as outlined in the Engine Mechanical Section.
- Charge the A/C system with refrigerant, as outlined in this section.
- Install the front bumper under cover and front right under cover.
- Connect the negative battery cable. On 2005-2006 vehicles, turn the ignition ON and then OFF , and keep it off for at least ten seconds.