Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
To remove the left bank ignition coils, perform the following:
- Detach the left side ignition coil electrical connectors.
- Remove the left side ignition coils.
- Remove the intake manifold plenum, as outlined in the Engine Mechanical Section.
To remove the right bank ignition coils, perform the following:
- Detach the right side ignition coil electrical connectors.
- Remove the right side ignition coils.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Note the tightening specifications on the accompanying illustration.
Primary Coil & Ignition Power Transistor Continuity Check
An analog-type ohmmeter should be used for this test.
Connect the negative probe of the ohmmeter to terminal 1.
WARNINGThis test must be performed quickly (in less than 10 seconds) to prevent coil from burning and ignition power transistor from breaking.
Connect and disconnect 4.5 - 9.0 V battery between terminal No. 2 and No. 3, and observe the ohmmeter whether there is continuity or not.
If results do not agree with the accompanying chart, replace the primary coil and ignition power transistor assembly.
- Disconnect the ignition coil connector.
- Remove the ignition coil and install a new spark plug to the ignition coil.
- Connect the ignition coil connector.
- Ground the side electrode of the spark plug and crank the engine.
- Check that spark is produced between the electrodes of the spark plug.
- If no spark plug is produced, replace the ignition coil with a new one and recheck.
- If spark is produced with the new ignition coil, replace the old one as it is faulty. If no spark is produced again, the ignition circuit is suspected as faulty. Check the ignition circuit.