Removal & Installation
- Place the wheel-s of the vehicle in the straight-ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 90 seconds before continuing, to disarm the SRS system. For more information and precautions regarding the SRS system, refer to the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Remove the steering wheel cover.
- Remove the air bag module, as follows:
- Remove the steering damper.
Loosen the steering wheel nut, then use Special Tool. MB99080 or equivalent puller to remove the steering wheel.
- Make sure the vehicle-s wheels are still in the straight ahead position.
- Remove the lower steering column cover.
- Remove the clock spring and column switch assembly.
Remove the steering wheel sensor.
Be sure that the clock spring-s mating marks are aligned properly. If the marks are not properly aligned, the steering wheel might not rotate completely during a turn, or the flat cable in the clock spring could be damaged. This would prevent normal SRS operation and potentially cause serious injury to the driver.
Align the mating marks of the clock spring, as follows:
- Turn the clock spring fully clockwise. Then turn it back about 3 3 / 4 turns counterclockwise to align the mating marks.
Turn the front wheels to the straight-ahead position. Then install the clock spring to the column switch.
WARNINGMake sure that the steering wheel sensor-s mating marks are properly aligned. If the marks are not properly aligned, the steering wheel sensor could be damaged.
- Align the mating marks of the steering wheel sensor, as follows:
- Installation of the steering wheel is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).