REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Galant and Mirage
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the transaxle assembly from the vehicle. Refer to the procedure earlier in this section.
- Remove the pressure plate attaching bolts, pressure plate and clutch disc. If the pressure plate is to be reused, loosen the bolts in a diagonal pattern, 1 or 2 turns at a time. This will prevent warping the clutch cover assembly.
- Remove the return clip and the pressure plate release bearing. Do not use solvent to clean the bearing.
- Inspect the clutch release fork and fulcrum for damage or wear. If necessary, remove the release fork and unthread the fulcrum from the transaxle.
- Carefully inspect the condition of the clutch components and replace any worn or damaged parts.
- Inspect the flywheel for heat damage or cracks. Resurface or replace the flywheel as required.
- Install the fulcrum and tighten to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Install the release fork.
- Apply a coating of multi-purpose grease to the point of contact with the fulcrum and the point of contact with the release bearing.
- Apply a coating of multi-purpose grease to the end of the release cylinder pushrod and the pushrod hole in the release fork.
- Apply multi-purpose grease to the clutch release bearing. Pack the bearing inner surface and the groove with grease. Do not apply grease to the resin portion of the bearing.
- Place the bearing in position and install the return clip.
- Using the proper alignment tool, install the clutch disc to the flywheel.
- Install the pressure plate assembly.
- Install the retainer bolts and tighten a little at a time, in a diagonal sequence. Tighten them to a final torque of 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm) on 1994-98 Galant models and 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) on all other models. Remove the aligning tool.
- Install the transaxle assembly.
- Check for proper clutch operation.
Pedal Free Play
- Measure the clutch pedal height from the face of the pedal pad to the firewall. The desired distances are as follows:
- Mirage-6.61-6.8 in. (168-171mm)
- Galant -6.93-7.17 in. (176-182mm)
- Measure the clutch pedal clevis pin play at the face of the pedal pad. The standard values are as follows:
- Mirage-0.04-0.12 in. (1-3mm)
- Galant-0.04-0.12 in. (1-3mm)
- If the clutch pedal height or clevis pin play are not within the standard values, adjust as follows:
- For vehicles without cruise control, turn and adjust the bolt so the pedal height is the standard value, then tighten the locknut.
- For vehicles with the auto-cruise control system, detach the clutch switch connector and turn the switch to obtain the standard clutch pedal height. Then, lock with the locknut.
- Turn the pushrod to adjust the clutch pedal clevis pin play to agree with the standard value and secure the pushrod with the locknut.
- Check that when the clutch pedal is depressed all the way, the interlock switch switches over from ON to OFF.