1.5L, 1.8L, 2.4L, and 3.5L Engines
The ignition coil is an integral part of the distributor.
- Measure the resistance of the primary ignition coil as follows:
- Unplug the electrical connector at the distributor. Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the two terminals of the distributor, NOT THE WIRE HARNESS , except for the 3.5L engine, in which you test across terminals 1 and 2 of the distributor.
- Measure the resistance and compare to the desired specifications of:
- 0.9-1.2 ohms on the 1.5L, 1.8L, and 2.4L engines
- 0.5-0.7 ohms on the 3.5L engine
- If the actual reading differs from the desired specification, replace the ignition coil.
- If the measured value is within standard allowance, there are no broken wires or short circuits.
- Measure the resistance of the secondary ignition coil as follows:
- Insert one of the test leads into the secondary ignition coil terminal on top of the distributor cap.
- Touch the second test lead to terminal 1 or terminal 2 of the distributor connector.