REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.0L and 2.4L Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Remove the oil filter, oil pressure switch, oil gauge sending unit, oil filter mounting bracket and gasket.
- Remove engine oil pan, oil screen and gasket.
- Remove the relief plug, gasket, relief spring and relief plunger.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Using the proper equipment, support the weight of the engine.
- Remove the front engine mount bracket and accessory drive belt.
- Remove the timing belts and sprockets.
- Using special tool MD998162, remove the plug cap in the engine front cover.
- Remove the plug on the side of the engine block. Insert a Phillips screwdriver with a shank diameter of 0.32 in. (8mm) into the plug hole. This will hold the silent shaft.
- Remove the driven gear bolt that secures the oil pump driven gear to the silent shaft.
- Remove and tag the front cover mounting bolts. Note the lengths of the mounting bolts as they are removed for proper installation.
- Remove the front case cover and oil pump assembly. If necessary, the silent shaft can come out with the cover assembly.
- Remove the silent shaft oil seals, the crankshaft oil seal and front case gasket.
- Remove the silent shafts and inspect as follows:
- Check the oil holes in the shaft for clogging.
- Check journals of the shaft for seizure, damage and contact with bearing. If there is anything wrong with the journal, replace the silent shaft bearing, silent shaft or front case.
- Check the silent shaft oil clearance. If the clearance is beyond the specifications, replace the silent shaft bearing, silent shaft or front case. The specifications for oil clearances are as follows:
- Lubricate the bearing surface of the shaft and the bearing journals with clean engine oil. Carefully install the silent shafts to the block.
- Clean the gasket material from the mating surface of the cylinder block and the engine front cover. Install new gasket in place.
- Install the oil pump drive gear and driven gear to the front case, lining up the timing marks.
- Lubricate the gears with clean engine oil. Install the oil pump cover, with new gasket in place and tighten the mounting bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Using proper size driver, install the crankshaft oil seal into the front engine case.
- Using the proper size socket wrench, press in the silent shaft oil seal into the front case.
- Place pilot tool MD998285 or equivalent, onto the nose of the crankshaft. Apply clean engine oil to the outer circumference of the pilot tool.
- Install the front case onto the engine block and temporarily tighten the flange bolts (other than those for tightening the filter bracket).
- Mount the oil filter bracket with new gasket in place. Install the 4 bolts with washers and tighten to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Insert the Phillips screwdriver into the hole on the side of the engine block.
- Secure the oil pump driven gear onto the left silent shaft by tightening the driven gear flange bolt to 29 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Install a new O-ring onto the groove in the front case. Using special socket tool, install and tighten the plug cap to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the oil pump relief plunger and spring into the bore in the oil filter bracket and tighten to 36 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). Make sure a new gasket is in place.
- Clean both mating surfaces of the oil pan and the cylinder block.
- Apply sealant in the groove in the oil pan flange, keeping towards the inside of the bolt holes. The width of the sealant bead applied is to be about 0.16 in. (4mm) wide.
- Install the oil pan to the engine and secure with the retainers. Tighten bolts to 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm).
- Install the oil pressure gauge unit and the oil pressure switch. Attach the electrical harness connector.
- Install new oil filter and fill engine with clean engine oil.
- Install the timing belts and all related items.
- Install any remaining components removed during disassembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable and start the engine.
- Check for proper timing and inspect for leaks.