REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Diamante, Mirage, 1990-93 Galant, and 1999-00 Galant
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely. Remove the halfshaft nut.
- If equipped with ABS, remove the front wheel speed sensor.
- If equipped with Active Electronic Control Suspension (Active-ECS), disconnect the height sensor from the lower control arm.
- Remove the caliper assembly and brake pads. Suspend the caliper with a wire.
- Using a suitable ball joint separator tool, disconnect the ball joint and tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the halfshaft from the hub.
- Unbolt the lower end of the strut and remove the hub and steering knuckle assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the hub, bearings and races as follows:
Do not use a hammer to accomplish this or the bearing will be damaged.
- Remove the oil seal from the axle side of the knuckle using a small prying tool.
- Remove the wheel bearing inner race from the front hub using a puller.
Be careful that the front hub does not fall when the inner race is removed.
- Remove the snapring from the axle side of the knuckle. Remove the bearing from the knuckle using a puller.
- Once the bearing is removed, the bearing outer race can be removed by tapping out with a brass drift pin and a hammer.
- Install the hub, bearings, and races as follows:
- Fill the wheel bearing with multipurpose grease. Apply a thin coating of multipurpose grease to the knuckle and bearing contact surfaces.
- Press the wheel bearing into the knuckle using an appropriate pressing tool. Once the bearing is installed, install the inner race using the proper driving tool.
- Drive the oil seal into the knuckle using the proper size driver. Drive seal into knuckle until it is flush with the knuckle end surface.
- Using pressing tool MB990998 or equivalent, mount the front hub assembly into the knuckle. Tighten the nut of the pressing tool to 144-188 ft. lbs. (200-260 Nm). Rotate the hub to seat the bearing.
- Mount the knuckle assembly in a vise. Check the hub assembly turning torque and end-play as follows:
- Using a torque wrench and socket MB990998 or equivalent, turn the hub in the knuckle assembly. Note the reading on the torque wrench and compare to the desired reading of 16 inch lbs. (1.8 Nm) or less. This is known as the breakaway torque.
- Check for roughness when turning the bearing.
- Mount a dial indicator on the hub so the pointer contacts the machined surface on the hub.
- Check the end-play.
- Compare the reading to the limit of 0.002 in. (0.05mm).
- If the starting torque or the hub end-play are not within specifications while the nut is tightened to 144-188 ft. lbs. (200-260 Nm), the bearing, hub or knuckle have probably not been installed correctly. Repeat the disassembly and assembly procedure and recheck starting torque and end-play.
- Install the hub and knuckle assembly onto the vehicle. Install the lower ball joint stud into the steering knuckle and install a new nut. Tighten to 52 ft. lbs. (72 Nm).
- Install the halfshaft into the hub/knuckle assembly.
- Install the two front strut lower mounting bolts and tighten to 80-94 ft. lbs. (110-130 Nm) on Mirage or 65-76 ft. lbs. (90-105 Nm) on Diamante models.
- Install the tie rod end and tighten the nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm) for Mirage and 21 ft. lbs. (29 Nm) on Diamante models
- Install the brake disc and caliper assembly.
- If equipped with Active-ECS, connect the height sensor and tighten the mounting bolt to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Install the front speed sensor, if removed.
- Install the washer and new locknut to the end of the halfshaft. Tighten the locknut snugly to 144-188 ft. lbs. (200-260 Nm).
- Install the tire and wheel assembly onto the vehicle.
- Lower the vehicle to the ground.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Remove the appropriate wheel assembly.
- Remove the cotter pin, halfshaft nut and washer.
- If equipped with ABS, remove the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).
- Remove the caliper and brake pads. Support the caliper out of the way using wire.
- Remove the brake rotor from the hub assembly.
- Disconnect the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle and pull the knuckle outward.
- From the back of the knuckle, remove the four bolts securing the hub to the knuckle.
- Remove the hub and bearing assembly from the knuckle.
The hub assembly is not serviceable and should not be disassembled.
- Install the hub to the steering knuckle and tighten the mounting bolts to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
- Connect the upper ball joint to the steering knuckle and tighten the self-locking nut to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install the axle washer and nut. Tighten the nut to 145-188 ft. lbs. (200-260 Nm).
- Position the rotor on the hub.
- Install the caliper holder and the brake caliper.
- If equipped with ABS, install the VSS.
- Install the wheel assembly and lower the vehicle.