REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 1994-98 Galant
These vehicles use a strut type front suspension. No upper control arm is used.1994-98 Galant
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Disconnect the upper arm ball joint from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the upper arm shaft mounting nuts from the body.
- Remove the upper arm.
- Remove the through-bolts that attach the upper arm to the shafts.
- Assemble the upper arm to the shafts at the proper angle. Tighten the through-bolts and nuts to 41 ft. lbs. (57 Nm). The proper angle is 84-86°. After the arm and the shafts are connected at the right angle, measure dimensions A and B to insure correct assembly, and compare with the following specifications:
- A O-ring: 11.8 in. (299.9mm)
- B O-ring: 9.2 in. (234.0mm)
- Install the control arm assembly to the body with new self-locking nuts. Tighten the self-locking nuts to 62 ft. lbs. (86 Nm).
- Connect the upper arm ball joint to the steering knuckle with a new self-locking nut. Tighten the locking nut to 20 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install the front wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Have a front end alignment performed.