REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure using proper procedures.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Drain the fuel from the fuel tank into an approved container.
Observe all applicable safety precautions when working around fuel. Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion.
- On Diamante models:
- Remove the left rear wheel well liner.
- Disconnect the center exhaust system from the main muffler. Disconnect the rear exhaust hangers, lower the exhaust and secure aside.
- On models equipped with 4-wheel steering, remove the mounting bolts and lower the rear steering gear.
- Disconnect the return hose, high pressure hose and vapor hoses from the fuel pump.
- Detach the electrical connectors at the pump/sending unit.
- Disconnect the filler and vent hoses.
- Place a suitable jack under the center of the fuel tank and apply a slight upward pressure. Remove the fuel tank strap retaining nuts.
- Lower the tank slightly and detach any remaining electrical or hose connectors at the fuel tank.
- Remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.
- If replacing the tank, transfer any necessary components to the new tank including any heat shields, hoses, valves, and the fuel pump.
- Install the fuel tank onto the jack. Raise the tank in position under the vehicle. Leave enough clearance to attach the electrical and hose connections to the top of the fuel pump.
- Attach all connections to the top of the tank.
- Raise the tank completely and position the retainer straps around the fuel tank. Install new fuel tank self-locking nuts and tighten the nuts.
- Connect the return hose and high pressure hoses.
- Install the vapor hose and the filler hose. Install the filler hose retainer screws to the fender, if removed.
- On Diamante models:
- If equipped with 4-wheel steering, install the power cylinder unit and tighten the mounting bolts to 31 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
- Connect the exhaust pipe and secure the rear hangers.
- Install the left rear wheel well liner, if removed.
- Lower the vehicle and pour the drained fuel into the gas tank.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Check the fuel pump for proper pressure and inspect the entire system for leaks.