Fuel injection systems remain under pressure after the engine has been turned OFF. Properly relieve fuel pressure before disconnecting any fuel lines. Failure to do so may result in fire or personal injury.
- Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
- Loosen the fuel filler cap to release fuel tank pressure.
Observe all applicable safety precautions when working around fuel. Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion.
- For the Mirage, Diamante, and 1994-00 Galant, remove the rear seat cushion, then remove the service cover and detach the fuel pump harness connector.
- For the 1990-93 FWD Galant, detach the fuel pump harness connector located in the area of the fuel tank. It may be necessary to raise the vehicle to access the connector.
- For the 1990-93 AWD Galant, remove the carpet from the trunk, locate the fuel tank wiring at the pump access cover, then detach the wiring.
- Start the vehicle and allow it to run until it stalls from lack of fuel. Turn the key to the OFF position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then attach the fuel pump connector. Install the access cover, cushion or carpet as necessary.
- Wrap shop towels around the fitting that is being disconnected to absorb residual fuel in the lines.
- Place shop towels into proper safety container.