REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Support the rear lower control arm.
- Remove the brake line clamp bolt.
- Remove the nut and separate the upper ball joint, using tool MB990635 or equivalent, from the rear trailing arm/steering knuckle.
It is important to use proper method of joint separation when reusing joint. Damage can result from unapproved methods, resulting in possible joint failure.
- Matchmark the eccentric on the upper installation bolt and remove from the control arm.
- Remove the upper arm from the vehicle.
- Install the arm to the vehicle and install the upper arm installation bolt. Align the matchmarks and tighten the nut snugly only.
- Install the upper arm ball joint to the rear spindle assembly and install new nut. Tighten to 52 ft. lbs. (72 Nm).
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle until the suspension supports its weight.
- Tighten the upper arm installation bolt to 116 ft. lbs. (160 Nm).
- Check the rear wheel alignment.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the through-bolt securing the upper arm to the knuckle.
- Remove the four bolts securing the upper arm to the body.
- Remove the upper arm assembly.
- Remove the through-bolts and nuts and remove the upper arm to body brackets.
- Install the upper arm to body brackets to the upper arm. Tighten the bolts and nuts to 41 ft. lbs. (57 Nm).
- Install the upper arm to the vehicle and tighten the four bolts to 28 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Install the through-bolt securing the upper arm to the knuckle. Do not tighten the nut until the vehicle is on the floor at normal riding height.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Safely lower the vehicle to the floor and tighten the nut for the through-bolt to 71 ft. lbs. (98 Nm).
- Check and adjust wheel alignment if necessary.
- Raise and properly support vehicle.
- Remove appropriate wheel assembly.
- Disconnect the sway bar and remove the strut assembly.
- Support the trailing arm assembly and remove the self-locking nut connecting the control arm to the trailing arm.
- Using a joint separation tool, disconnect the upper ball joint from the trailing arm.
- Disconnect the control arm from the subframe and remove the assembly.
- Install the control arm to the subframe and lightly tighten the mounting bolt.
- Connect the control arm to the trailing arm and tighten the self-locking nut to 54-61 ft. lbs. (75-89 Nm).
- Install the strut assembly and connect the sway bar.
- Install wheel and lower vehicle.
- With full weight of vehicle on the ground, tighten the control arm to subframe bolt to 54-61 ft. lbs. (75-89 Nm).
- Check rear wheel alignment and adjust if necessary.