REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The air bag system (SRS or SIR) must be disarmed before removing the steering wheel. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment, property damage or personal injury.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If equipped, disable the air bag system.
- Remove the steering wheel as outlined earlier in this section.
- For Diamante models, remove the hood lock release handle.
- Remove the knee protector panel under the steering column, then the upper and lower column covers.
- For Diamante models, remove the lap cooler and foot blower duct work as necessary. Carefully detach the combination switch connectors.
- For Mirage models, detach all connectors, remove the wiring clip and remove the column switch assembly.
- For Galant models, if equipped, remove the four screws retaining the cruise control slip ring to the switch.
- For Galant models, remove the two retaining screws from the combination switch and remove the switch from the column.
- Install the switch assembly and secure all harness connectors with clips if needed. Make sure the wires are not pinched or out of place.
- Install the column covers and knee protector and all connectors.
- If removed, install the foot blower duct work and lap cooler.
- Confirm that the front wheels are in a straight-ahead position.
- Install the steering wheel, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Connect the negative battery cable, turn the key to the ON position, the SRS warning light should illuminate for seven seconds and go out. If the warning light is not functioning properly, refer to SRS system diagnosis.
- Check all functions of the combination switch for proper operation.