REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The air bag system (SRS or SIR) must be disarmed before removing the steering wheel. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment, property damage or personal injury.
- If equipped, properly disarm the air bag system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the hood lock release lever from the lower panel.
- Remove the lower instrument panel knee protector.
- Remove the ductwork with the lower knee panel and remove the steering wheel assembly.
Use proper steering wheel puller equipment when removing the steering wheel. The use of a hammer for removal could damage the collapsible mechanism within the column.
- Remove the lower and upper steering column covers.
- For Diamante models, remove the lap cooler and foot shower duct work.
- If necessary, remove the clip that holds the wiring harness against the steering column.
- Detach all necessary connectors.
- For Galant and Diamante models, remove the retaining screws, then remove the entire column switch/clockspring assembly from the left side of the steering column.
- For Diamante models, remove the mounting screws from the ignition switch and pull the switch from the interlock cylinder.
- Insert the key into the steering lock cylinder and turn to the ACC position.
- With a small, pointed tool, push the lock pin of the steering lock cylinder inward and pull the lock cylinder out.
- Remove the key reminder switch, if equipped.
- For Mirage, install the lock cylinder in the lock cylinder bracket. Make sure the cylinder operates properly before breaking off the heads of the special bolts, if the bracket was replaced.
- For Galant and Diamante models, install the lock cylinder into the interlock housing. Be sure the lock pin snaps into place. Install the ignition switch into the interlock housing. Align the keyway of the ignition switch with the lock cylinder and secure with the mounting screws.
- For Galant and Diamante models, install the column switch/clockspring assembly to the and connect the harness.
- Install the key reminder switch, if equipped.
- Attach the harness connections and install the wiring clip.
- If removed, install the lap cooler and foot shower duct work.
- Install the steering column upper and lower covers.
- If necessary, install the knee protector and the steering wheel.
- Install the hood lock release lever.
- Connect the negative battery cable, enable the air bag system, and check the ignition switch and lock for proper operation.