REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Mirage and Galant
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped, disarm the air bag system.
- Remove the hood lock release lever from the lower panel.
- Remove the lower instrument panel knee protector.
- Remove the ductwork with the lower knee panel and remove the steering wheel assembly.
Use proper steering wheel puller equipment when removing the steering wheel. The use of a hammer for removal could damage the collapsible mechanism within the column.
- Remove the lower steering column cover.
- Remove the upper steering column cover.
- Remove the clip that holds the wiring harness against the steering column.
- For Galant models, insert the key into the steering lock cylinder and turn to the ACC position.
- For Galant models, using a small pointed tool, push the lock pin of the steering lock cylinder inward and pull the lock cylinder out.
- For Galant models, remove the key reminder switch, if equipped.
- Unplug the ignition switch harness connector. Remove the ignition switch mounting screws and pull the switch from the steering lock cylinder.
Vehicles equipped with automatic transaxle have safety-lock systems and will have a key interlock cable installed in a slide lever on the side of the key cylinder. Carefully unhook the interlock cable from the lock cylinder while withdrawing the cylinder from the lock housing.
To remove the steering lock, use a hacksaw or equivalent to cut the special bolts through the bracket. The bracket and bolts must be replaced with new ones.
- With the ignition key removed, install the slide lever and the interlock cable to the steering lock cylinder. Apply grease to the interlock cable and install the cylinder into the lock housing. Check for normal operation of the interlock system.
- Install the ignition switch into the rear of the lock cylinder housing. Be sure to align the keyway of the ignition switch with interlock cylinder.
- Attach the harness connections and install the wiring clip.
- Install the steering column upper and lower covers.
- Install the knee protector.
- Connect the negative battery cable, enable the air bag system (if equipped) and check the ignition switch and lock for proper operation.
Work MUST NOT be started until at least 90 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the negative battery cable is disconnected from the battery. This will allow time for the air bag system backup power supply to deplete its stored energy preventing accidental air bag deployment which could result in unnecessary air bag system repairs and/or personal injury.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disarm the air bag system, as outlined in .
- Remove the steering wheel, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Remove the hood lock release handle.
- Remove the switches from the knee protector below the steering column and remove the exposed retaining screws. Then remove the knee protector.
- Remove the steering column upper and lower covers. Use care removing the covers to prevent breakage of alignment tabs.
- Remove lap cooler and foot shower duct work. Detach the ignition switch harness connectors.
- Remove mounting screws from the ignition switch and pull switch from interlock cylinder.
- Install ignition switch into interlock housing. Align keyway of ignition switch with lock cylinder and secure with mounting screws.
- Connect the ignition switch electrical harness plug.
- Install lap cooler and foot shower duct work.
- Install the upper and lower steering column covers.
- Install the knee protector and switches.
- Install the hood release handle.
- Install the steering wheel, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check all functions of column-mounted switches and the ignition switch for proper operation.