A 5 volt voltage is applied to the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) output terminal from the ECM/PCM. The sensor generates a pulse signal when the output terminal is opened and grounded.
- Disconnect the sensor connector and measure at the harness side.
- Turn the ignition switch to "ON" position.
- Measure the voltage between terminal 86 (M/T) or terminal 80 (A/T) and ground. Voltage should be between 8 and 12 volts.
- Turn the ignition switch to "LOCK" (OFF) position.
- If any check above does not meet the specifications, check connectors and wiring between the sensor and ECM/PCM. If ok, replace ECM/PCM.
- If checks above meet the specifications, replace the VSS.