Removal & Installation
- Remove the air cleaner resonator.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the ignition coil connectors.
Remove the retainers and the ignition coils.
- Install the ignition coils. Tighten the retainers to 72-106 inch lbs. (8-12 Nm).
- Attach the ignition coil connectors.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Primary Coil & Ignition Power Transistor Continuity Check
An analog-type ohmmeter should be used for this test.
Connect the negative probe of the ohmmeter to terminal 1.
WARNINGThis test must be performed quickly (in less than 10 seconds) to prevent coil from burning and ignition power transistor from breaking.
Connect and disconnect 4.5 - 9.0 V battery between terminals No. 2 and No. 3, and check the ohmmeter to see if there is continuity or not.
If results do not agree with the accompanying chart, replace the primary coil and ignition power transistor assembly.
- Disconnect the ignition coil connector.
- Remove the ignition coil and install a new spark plug to the ignition coil.
- Connect the ignition coil connector.
- Ground the side electrode of the spark plug and crank the engine.
- Check that spark is produced between the electrodes of the spark plug.
- If no spark plug is produced, replace the ignition coil with a new one and recheck.
- If spark is produced with the new ignition coil, replace the old one as it is faulty. If no spark is produced again, the ignition circuit is suspected as faulty. Check the ignition circuit.